I had this thought that making gluten free cookies could be challenging, as I wasn’t sure if the dough will hold itself to gather. But when I actually tried it out, I was very surprised to see that the dough behaves so well. I Love traditional Linzer cookies and going healthier with this recipe(making it gluten free) is next step for my diet. I found that these gluten free cookies are best when the jam has a change to sit a bit and soften up the cookie :). I made gluten free flour by combining a couple of whole grain flour. If you have access to gluten free all purpose flour you can use that by all means. If you have kids at home, then you sure have to bake these goodies.
To know more about gluten free flour and how to make it, check out this site.
Here’s my gluten free linzer cookie recipe-
Oats flour – 1 cup(I used normal steel cut oats)
Ragi flour/Finger millet flour – 3 tbspn
Hazel nut flour – 1 tbspn
Corn flour – 1 tbspn
Baking powder – 1/2 tspn
Butter(at room temperature) – 2 tbspn
Liquid sweetner – 4 tbspn(I used honey)
Ground Cinnamon – 1/4 tspn
Vanilla Extract – 1/4 tspn
Salt – 1/8 tspn
Jam – few tspns
Icing sugar – for dusting
Method of preparation:-
1. Pre heat oven to 180 C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Add oats and hazel nuts(i used whole nuts and ground to powder) and blend until you get a fine powder.
3. Add oats hazelnut powder, ragi flour, corn flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon powder and mix until well combined.
4. Add softened butter, honey, vanilla extract and mix with your hands until the dough is thoroughly combined. Pop the dough into fridge for about 15 mins.
5. Take 1 portion of the dough and place it on parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment paper on top of dough and roll it evenly.
6. Using a round cutter cut out circles. carefully lift the round cookies and place it on baking tray.
7. Take the second portion of dough and following the same method from step 5 roll it evenly. Use the same round cutter and cut into round shapes. Using a small cookies cutter to cut a shape in the center of the cookies.
8. Carefully lift and place these window cookies on the baking tray.
9. Bake the cookies in pre heated oven at 180 C for 10-13 mins or until lightly golden. Let cool on pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
10. Once cool, you can make the cookies into sandwiches by spreading 1 tsp. of good quality jam on the non-window cookie and top with the window cookies. If desired, dust lightly with icing sugar.
Healthy gluten free linzer cookies are ready!
1. You can make these into easier cookies where you just flatten all the cookies and bake them, then turn them into sandwich.
2. Alternatively, you can eat the cookies as it, without turning them into ‘sandwiches’.
3. If you filling jam, use good quality sweetened fruit jam.
4. Dusting with icing sugar is optional.