Garlic butter herbs instant pot potatoes are fluffy on the inside and perfect golden brown skin on the outside. Want to make it look fancy – use a mix of small red and Yukon gold potatoes. A perfect and EASY side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas!
Potatoes are the best thing ever!
Crispy on the outside, soft inside.
Buttery, salty, packed with herby flavors!
Best part? They are SO EASY to make.
And all made in instant pot (pressure cooker).
Garlic butter herbs instant pot potatoes are super easy, super addictive potato roast recipe made in instant pot. It’s perfect roast potato recipe with amazing flavor profile. It needs less than 15 minutes from start to finish and all you need is just your instant pot(pressure cooker). It’s definitely one of the easiest and fasted potato roast recipe you’ll ever make. Perfect crunch and a soft melting goodness. With garlic, butter and herbs it’s too good to resist!
Who doesn’t love brown butter and potatoes, and these babies are made in instant pot. Raw potatoes are first browned in instant pot until you get golden brown crust and then cooked to tender perfection. These instant pot roasted potatoes cuts like butter once cooked.
Almost just like the pan roasted potatoes these instant pot roasted potatoes do have those gorgeous browning on the outside with fabulous flavors and texture is amazing too. Though we are talking about perfectly browned potato skin or roasted potatoes, please do not compare the crispness to oven baked potatoes. No we would not achieve that crispness here, as we steam the browned/roasted potatoes for cooking.
I’ve declared myself as potato lover and y’all know it by now! My obsession for potatoes never seems to end and every time I cook with potatoes I’m really happy. You will believe my obsession with potatoes as I’m here yet again to post another potato recipe just after I posted sweet potato fries in my last post.
If there is one thing that everybody loves, it’s got to be potatoes! I still haven’t come across a single person who doesn’t like this humble root vegetable! One thing that everyone would love on their table is potatoes.
salad it, or
soup it up!
Look at this – Delicious and ready to enjoy at a moment’s notice.
Step up your potato game with instant pot baked potatoes seasoned with garlic, butter and herbs an easy recipe to adjust to suit your family’s tastes. You can swap out the herbs to any that you prefer. User fresh herbs if you have in hand or easily swap it with dried herbs. Either way they turn out delicious and are a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
Potatoes once cooked are anyways sweet and buttery, almost melt-in-mouth. A few extra cubes of added butter just sweetens the whole deal. Don’t skip the butter. If you are looking for one of the easiest and fanciest potatoes recipe and a perfect side dish for thanksgiving this is the one for you.
Or just serve with roasted potatoes with any salad or alongside grilled chicken/fish/salmon/pork for a modest meal on a Sunday afternoon with family and friends.
Pro-Tip: Don’t just boil/pressure cook potatoes in Instant Pot. Roast them first on all sides few minutes in the Instant pot itself before pouring in the liquid to boil them for perfectly golden brown roasted potatoes.
And if you want to completely retain the crispiness that you achieve with browning potatoes in the beginning, place potatoes in trivet or steamer basket while cooking, this will help it retain all it’s crispiness.
A word – You may not be able to compare instant pot roasted potatoes to the crispness of oven-roasted potatoes.
Instant pot baked potatoes will have a softer texture but will have golden brown skin. The texture is wonderful due to browning the raw potatoes first which later we will be steaming.
Pro-Tip: reserve a little brown butter to drizzle over the potatoes just before serving!
How To Make Instant Pot Baked Potatoes Crispy
The key to making instant pot roasted potatoes crispy is letting them brown in the pot for few minutes untouched and then turning it to brown on all sides. You want each side of the potatoes to get that extra heat to make them crispy. So turn the potatoes only after it has sat a side on heat for at-least 3 minutes. Do this on both(all sides) of the potatoes.
Love to have more Instant Pot Recipes?
Here is our popular IP recipes –
We absolutely love this Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
CONSIDER CHECKING OUR MOST POPULAR INSTANT POT RECIPES HERE –
What Types Of Potatoes Are Best For This Recipe
Technically any and all varieties of potatoes works best for roasting or baking. They are come out delicious! But the best potatoes would be Yukon gold and I found it looks fancy with mixed with red skin potatoes. Other potatoes that you can use in case you don’t have Yokon potatoes are
black skin potatoes
purple potatoes (why not!)
Note –red potatoes once hit the heat lost it’s gorgeous red skin color (bought these red skin potatoes from Norway). I have seen many instant pot red potato recipes that retained it pretty red skin color even after cooking. So may be chances are that your red skin potatoes might not loose it’s color even after cooking.
Potatoes Cooked In Instant Pot Vs Oven Baked/Roasted Potatoes
You may not be able to compare instant pot roasted potatoes to the crispness of oven-roasted potatoes. Instant pot baked potatoes will have a softer texture and with golden brown skin. The texture is wonderful due to browning the raw potatoes first which later we will be steaming. But wouldn’t be as crispy as oven baked potatoes. Because potatoes are pressure cooked in instant pot (pressure cooker) after roasting. So please do not compare the crispness to oven baked potatoes. No we would not achieve that crispness here.
Pro-Tip – use very little water or stock to pressure cook potatoes, minimum amount of liquid helps steam the potatoes without boiling them. So potatoes won’t turn soggy and mushy.
What Herbs Works Best
Basic and simple herb combinations of rosemary and thyme does magic to any potato recipe, don’t you agree?! Use fresh or dried herbs.
Fresh or dried rosemary
Fresh or dried thyme
Fresh or dried oregano
Fresh or dried marjoram
Or just use good brand Italian seasoning (which has a combination of all the above herbs and garlic salt in it).
Tips on How to Make Best Instant Pot ‘Baked’ Potatoes
- If using baby potatoes keep them whole. Before roasting in instant pot prick with fork so they don’t burst while roasting.
- If your potatoes are large, cut then into half or quarters and then soak in water for 15 minutes. Drain, pat dry completely before roasting them. This step will remove excess starch from potatoes and help crisp better.
- I used butter instead of olive oil. I know, I know – all the extra added fat! But it’s all fair to use some extra fat if we want crispy potatoes. You’ll get crisp tender potatoes that has been smothered in garlic butter, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and seasoned with fragrant herbs – you’ll forget everything else. Just mix melted cheese, herbs and seasoning with potatoes.
- Start off with browning potatoes in instant pot that is seasoned with butter, herbs. Use SAUTE control on the pot to brown the potatoes.
- Layer potatoes in single layer while roasting. Place them in pot and do not touch for 2 to 3 minutes. This will brown the potatoes. Turn over and repeat on other side to get even browning on all side. Turn the potatoes with a thin metal spatula ensuring they don’t break. Potatoes did not stick to the pot when I roasted. If it sticks to the pot gently flip it over using metal spatula.
- Use very little water or stock to pressure cook potatoes, minimal amount of liquid helps steam the potatoes without boiling them. So potatoes won’t turn soggy and mushy.
- You could also use steamer basket to place roasted potatoes in it above the liquid to pressure cook. This will ensure potatoes don’t touch the liquid and they stay crispy as best as it could.
LOOKING FOR MORE POTATO RECIPES? TRY OUR TOP FAVORITE POTATO RECIPES:
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
WATCH QUICK RECIPE VIDEO ON POTATOES COOKED IN INSTANT POT
Garlic Butter Herbs Instant Pot Potatoes
- 2 lbs red and yellow potatoes halved
- 100 grams unsalted butter 50 grams melted, 50 grams cubed
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt – generous pinch to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup vegetable broth or water
To finish off
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Little browned butter to drizzle over
- Wash the scrub the potatoes well to remove all dirt. If using baby potatoes leave them whole, if they are large ones cut it half or quarters depending on the size.
- If using cut potatoes soak in water for 15 to 20 minutes. This removes excess starch from the potatoes just will help it in crisp up better.
- After soaking drain all water, pat dry completely.
- Add 50 grams melted butter, all the herbs and seasoning to the potatoes in a bowl. Toss well to coat all potatoes evenly.
- Turn on the instant pot to SAUTE setting. If using pressure cooker, turn it on.
- Once instant pot is hot, add remaining (50 grams) butter and saute garlic in butter. Add potatoes in a single layer, do it in batch if you are cooking large batch of potatoes.
- Let the potatoes cook for 2-3 minutes untouched so they get browned (turn crispy) on outside. Then gently flip over and brown it by letting it cook for 3 minutes.
- If doing in multiple batch, remove potatoes from the pot after each batch is browned perfectly before you add in the next batch of potatoes to brown/roast.
- Once entire batch of potatoes are browned add it back into the instant pot. Pour in the vegetable broth.
- Close and lock the lid of the instant pot. Make sure pressure valve is in SEALED POSITION.
- Select PRESSURE COOK setting on 6Qt instant pot or high pressure setting on old versions. Adjust timer for 7 minutes.
- Once cooking time is up, carefully do QUICK RELEASE by turning the valve to quick release position.
- Remove lid, sprinkle in grated Parmesan cheese and few chopped parsley.
- Remove potatoes from the pot into a serving bowl.
- Drizzle little more chopped parsley. The fat liquid (browned butter)left over in the instant pot after cooking can be drizzled instant pot roasted potatoes just before serving.
- Always serve instant pot roasted potatoes warm.