I looooovvveee chicken curries. In fact I love all types of curry. The spices in it makes it so flavorful. I prepared about half a dozen of chicken curry variations. This one is one from the half dozen :D.
Today’s recipe is chicken curry with coconut in it. This curry is creamy, rich and fully packed with spice flavors. You will love it, that’s my guarantee 😀 :P. Try it and you will agree. This curry can be prepared with meat like lamb, or egg. For vegetarian options, use potatoes, mushroom,..
Here’s step wise recipe for chicken curry with coconut milk
Chicken – 250 gms
Coconut milk – 1/2 cup thick
Oil – 2 tbspn
Salt to taste
Pepper powder – 2 tspn
Kokum – 2 pieces, soaked in thick coconut milk from above for min 30 mins.
For masala – to grind
Cinnamon – 2 piece of 1 inch long
Cloves – 4-5 nos
Pepper corns – 1 tspn or 8-10 nos
Coriander seeds – 1 tbspn
Cumin seeds – 1 tspn
Dried red chillies – 3-4 nos.(I used Bedigye, has nice color and medium heat)
Mustard seeds – 1 tspn
Poppy seeds – 1 tbspn
For coconut paste-
Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Fresh ginger – 1 inch piece
Fresh garlic – 5-6 pods, big size ones
For onion-tomato paste-
Onions – 1 large choppes
Tomatoes – 1 large chopped
Coriander leaves for garnish
Method of Preparation:-
Wash the chicken pieces 4-5 times with water. Add a tspn of salt and turmeric powder and keep aside.
1. In a pan, dry roast coconut until it has released all it’s moisture and becomes dry. DO not roast it to brown.
2. To the same pan along with coconut I added garlic and ginger pieces and roasted for 2-4 mins on low flame. If you want, you can also roast ginger-garlic in a seperate pan with about 1/4 tspn of oil. Remove from flame and allow it to cool down.
3. To the same pan add all the ingredients called under “masala- to grind”, and dry roast them one after the other. First roast red chillies, remove, then roast cardomom and cloves, remove. Next roast corainder seeds and cumin seeds, remove. Finally roast pepper corns and switch off the flame, add poppy seeds saute and remove from flame. Allow all the ingredients to cool. Grind them along with coconut ginger-garlic mix with just 1/2 to 1 tspn of water into coarse paste.
4. Add 1 tspn of oil in a kadai, add chopped onions and saute until onions turn pink, next add tomatoes and saute until they turn soft. Remove from flame and allow to cool. Then grind into a paste(no need to add water). Keep aside
5. Now add 2 tbspn of oil to the same kadai. Add the onion-tomato paste and saute for 3-4 mins. Next add the masala paste and cook it for 5-6 mins on low flame. The ginger-garlic in the masala needs to cook.
6. Add the washed chicken pieces and cook in medium flame until chicken gets cooked. If the gravy turn too thick at any point add about 1-2 tbspn of water so chicken gets cooked thoroughly.
7. Add salt and pepper powder and give a mix.Finally add the thick coconut milk with kokum in it and mix. Let it cook on low flame for 2-3 mins. Switch off flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
8. Chicken curry with coconut milk is ready. Serve this yummy chicken curry with steamed rice, jeera rice or even with rotis/chappathis.