Bhel puri is a very popular Mumbai street food. there are two types of bhel. a crispy, soft, sweet, tangy, spicy mixture of many ingredients. The ingredients can be added according to your taste bud. There is no fixed quantity or measurements goes in preparation of this chat. So feel free to experiment with the ingredients.
Here’s one way of making Bhel Puri-
Puffed rice/Pori – 2 cups
Sev – 1/2 cup
Green chutney/mint chutnet – 2 tsp(Recipe below)
Sweet chutney – 1 tblsp
Onion – 1(chopped finely)
Tomato -1(chopped finely)
Coriander Leaves – 2 tblsp(chopped finely)
Lemon juice -2 tsp
Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
Chaat masala – 1 tsp
Roasted Peanuts 1 –2 tblsp
Carrot – 1(grated)
Boiled potato – 1, chopped into chunks
For Green chutney/Mint Chutney-
Mint leaves – 1 cup(tightly packed)
Coriander leaves – 1 cup(tightly packed)
Green chillies – 2(adjust as per your requirment)
Garlic cloves – 2 pods
Ginger – 1/4 inch piece
Lemon Juice – 1 tspn
Salt to taste
Water to grind
Method of preparation:-
1. For the green chutney – Remove the root part of the leaves and wash them. Add all the ingredients into a mixer and blend into a smooth paste by adding very little water. Lastly mix with lemon juice and transfer to an air tight container and store in fridge.Enjoy when needed!!
2. For the sweet chutney – click here for the recipe
3. Keep all the ingredients ready before you start. Take a wide large bowl. Firstly add the chutneys,lemon juice,chaat masala, onion,tomato and potato and mix well.
5. Next add grated carrots, coriander leaves, red chilli powder and mix them.
6. Serve immediately. Garnish with some more coriander leaves, sev and few roasted peanuts and Serve in small bowls.
1. Bhel puri preparation has many variations. There is no fixed recipe which has to be followed. this is just one way of preparing it.
2. Ingredients like papdi, pomegranate, mixture, …can be included too. Do it as per your preference and choice/availability of ingredients. The ingredients can be added according to your taste bud. So feel free to experiment with the ingredients.
3. Always serve bhel puri immediately, after some time the puffed rice will become soft, some might not like it that way, but I like it that way too. 🙂
4. One can make bhel puri with chutney and without any chutney’s(called sukka bhel). Today’s recipe is wet bhel puri recipe, if I can call it so