Curd rice recipe is one of the best and comforting food for the tummy, you wouldn’t want anything else to eat during hot summer days.
I literally survive on curd rice most of my summer days every year.
Summer calls for simple, comforting, soothing lunch/dinner recipes, curd rice is absolutely perfect meal for hot days. It’s complete meal in itself. Eat it as it is or pair it with potato roast for an irresistible soothing meal you’ll ever have!
Popularly called thayir sadam in tamil nadu, this yogurt rice has cooked rice and curd(yogurt) as main ingredients. But it doesn’t end there! It’s packed with flavors with some spices and fruits. Pomegranate arils and green grapes are the best choices of fruits used in curd rice recipe. I have heard some of my friends add chopped apples too. I guess that’s pushing a little too far, I don’t like apples in my curd rice.
But don’t miss pomegranate seeds. It’s what makes curd rice taste incredibly delicious.
How To Make Curd Rice
Can you guys feel it? The heat! Summer is already here, well almost. I’m tossing and turning all over my bed in the night. The heat is making me uncomfortable. With heat comes bad tummy problems. I literally survive on curd rice most of my summer days every year. Curd rice recipe is so soothing and comforting for the tummy, you wouldn’t want anything else to eat during hot summer days.
Sweltering heat = less time in kitchen. It’s so hard some days to stand near stove and cook an elaborate meal. Simple curd rice and potato roast to go on the side will do.
Mix well cooked rice with curd(yogurt) and milk. Add salt to taste. And finally stir in the tempered items. As optional step add fruits like pomegranate seeds and green grapes. Fresh fruits does make curd rice taste extra delicious.
LOVE RICE? WE GOT MORE FOR YOU. CHECK THESE OUT –
Simple Curd Rice
Don’t forget to Subscribe to CurryTrail Recipes below to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
CURD RICE RECIPE VIDEO
Click play to watch video or you can scroll down to recipe card if you want written recipe.
Best Curd Rice Recipe
- 1 cup cooked rice (mushy, soft cooked rice best)
- 1 cup yogurt (thick, chilled)
- ¾ cup full cream milk chilled
- Salt to taste
- Pomegranate seeds garnish (optional)
- Green grapes garnish (optional)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon urad dal
- 4 dried red chilies
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- Cook 1 cup raw rice in 2 ¾ cup water. Rice should be mushy and cooked very well. Once rice is cook, mash it well and keep aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Add cumin seeds, urad dal. Once urad dal turns golden brown thrown in dried red chilies and curry leaves. Turn off flame immediately.
- Once rice is cooled down add yogurt, milk and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add the tempered items and give a gently mix. Add more curd or milk if you find curd rice is too thick. Finally stir in pomegranate seeds, give a gentle mix. Serve immediately with potato roast on the side along with pickle.
“PIN IT” TO YOUR LUNCH BOARD