Pittar-Patter rain drops! Nothing seems wrong when it rains.
It has been raining almost everyday here. And the rain drenched plants in my garden makes it such a welcoming sight. The best part about rain is my garden becomes so full of life and all the new seeds starts to sprout out and grow into lush green beauties.
Rain sparks the craving for some delicious food. I decided to do soups and settled down on barley soup.
With loads of veggies and barley, this minestrone vegetable soup is one of the most comforting and healthy soup. A bowl of barley minestrone soup in hand seated next to a window watching rains, and a soothing music on the background is a perfect way to spend a beautiful rainy day.
I used carrots, beans, green zucchini, yellow zucchini, cabbage, mushrooms, spinach, peas, onions, tomatoes, and barley. Saute all ingredients in olive oil and barley cooked in vegetable broth makes it a light comforting hearty soup.
Here’s barley minestrone vegetable soup-
Barley – 1 cup
Carrots – 1
Beans – 4-5 nos
Yellow zucchini – ¼ cup
Green zucchini – ¼ cup
Mushrooms – 6-7 nos
Cabbage – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
Spinach – ¼ cup (tightly packed)
Green peas – ¼ cup
Onions – 1 large
Tomatoes – 2 large
Olive oil – 1 tbspn
Vegetable stock – 1 ½ cup
Salt to taste
Pepper powder – 1 ½ tbspn(adjust as per preference)
1. Wash and chop all the vegetables. Dry roast barley on low flame until they start to change color, remove from heat and add water to barley to soak it for about half an hour.
2. In a large wok, heat olive oil, add vegetable one at a time and saute for 1-2 minutes followed by the next veggie. I started with onions sauted unti they turned translucent, add tomatoes and saute till they turn soft.
3. Then follow by adding carrots, beans, zucchini, cabbage, mushrooms, peans, spinach.
4. Add salt and pepper powder and mix well. Finally add soaked barley and vegetable stock, simmer and cook until barley is done.
5. Serve it hot with some roasted garlic bread. YUM. And the beat way to eat it is by sitting next to a window watching the rain and sipping this soup hot. 😀
Comments & Reviews
jyoti how much barley to put???
sorry Khusboo, i just updated the recipe, it’s 1 cup barley
jyothi urs is one of the best sites i have come across .thank u so much…
can i add water instead of veg stock..i m very new to cooking and dont know much about the basics
Thank you very much for all the appreciation Khushboo. Words of appreciation like yours means a lot to me and keeps me motivation. Hope you keep visiting often.
Regarding your question, yes you can definitely add water in place of veg stock, stock gives out better taste to the soup, water will work too.
This soup is so healthy……and refreshing……great share
Thank you very much Alka 😀 Glad you liked it
Meena Kumar says
Oh I love such filling soups! I make something similar with beans. Really wish someone made it for me while I get to lazily enjoy the rain 🙂
Thank you very much Meena, Oh i get the same feeling too but hubby is so bad at cooking I have no choice left 😛
healthy and delicious soup. Love the recipe and the soup bowl:) Great presentation dear
Thank you very much Kushi. It’s one of my favorite collection 😀
Linda @ Veganosity says
You paint such a pretty picture with your words, Jyothi. It rained in Chicago today too, but now the sun is shining. That soup looks and sounds perfect.
Aww thank you very much Linda! I love rains and I like it even better when I don’t have to do any work, just sit and relax the rain 😀
perfect soup for this rainy days….
Thank you very much Shailaja 😀