Every body in the family loves pop corn. In fact my daughter loves them so much that she comes to watch movies with us(even though she doesn’t like the movie) in theaters just to eat the pop corns. I have never tasted a caramel popcorn until now. I always have classic salted pop corns. But since my hubby and daughter have sweet tooth they might actually like caramel popcorn.
Subhashini from fondbites gave us caramel popcorn recipe for week #69 challenge and when I looked into her post I was so surprised to see how easy and how delicious the caramel pop corns looked. If you have a family who can’t agree on sweet? or salty? then why not try this salted caramel popcorns. A little bit of sweet , a little bit of salty, and a perfect crunchy pop corns, your taste buds are sure gonna do a dance. 😀 Once you add caramel to the popped pop corns they become sticky and once it’s baked it’s like caramel becomes crispy and the when you pop a corn it melts in your mouth without sticking to your teeth like traditional hard candy.Try this easy baked salted caramel pop corns, which is guaranteed to make every one happy on that perfect movie night!
Pop corn kernels – 2 packets
Butter – ¼ cup
Brown Sugar – 1 cup
Corn Syrup – ⅓ cup(dont have corn syrup? no problem you can use honey instead)
Salt – 1 ½ tbspn(add few pinches more if you like the caramel salty)
Vanilla extract – 1 tspn
Baking Soda – ¼ tspn
Methd of preparation:-
1. In a large pan add the corn kernels and heat it up. Cover with a lid with a small opening. Wait till all the kernels have popped. It will take a few minutes. If you are using microwaveble packets, pop the kernels in the microwave along with the packet. Keep aside the pop corns.
2. Pre heat the oven to 150 C. Line a large backing tray with parchment paper.
3. In a deep bottomed pan add butter, brown sugar, salt and honey(I did not have corn syrup, so I used honey). Place the pan on heat and mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
4. Reduce the flame, and stop stirring. Do not stir at all. Let it simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. If you find the sides of the pan are burning, you can brush a little water on the sides, but do not stir!
5. After 5 mins, remove the pan from heat and add baking soda. Be careful while adding baking soda as it will bubble up. Stir instantly with wooden spatula.
6. Pour this caramel over the pop corns and using a wooden spatula with very gentle hands mix until every single pop corn is coated with caramel.
7. Spread the caramel coated pop corn over the baking tray evenly.
8. Bake in pre heated oven for 15-17 mins. After every 5 mins remove the tray from oven and toss the pop corn using a wooden spatula and place it bake in the oven. Have an eye on the pop corn, there are chances for the pop corn to burn easily and fast.
9. Once baked, remove from oven and cool it completely. You can store them in air tight containers and they stay good for a week at room temperature.
Voilà! Perfect salted caramel popcorn is ready! Enjoy your weekend movies with these perfect pop corns.
Comments & Reviews
Lynn | The Road to Honey says
This popcorn looks absolutely scrumptious. I love that you don’t have to compromise on sweet or salty. . .you can have the best of both worlds.
Thank you Lynn. Yes that’s the best part, we dont have to compromise. Get the best of both 😀
Linda @ Veganosity says
Love this recipe! I didn’t know that you baked the caramel on the corn, that makes sense because it would make it less sticky once it cooled. Thanks for the great idea Jyothi.
Thank you Linda! This is the first time I tasted caramel popcorn and I must admit , it was delicious for some one like me who doesn’t like sweets 😀