Calzone is folded over stuffed pizza. These calzones are stuffed with mushrooms and spinach one of the most delicious and healthy combo. Low fat ricotta and mozzarella make these pizza pockets lower in saturated fat. Plus a whole-wheat crust made from Vivatta Chakki Atta adds a nutty flavor and extra fiber. The best part about pizza is that you can make these at home keeping it as healthy as possible.
Serve with spicy marinara sauce on the side. It’s fun to dip these calzones into the sauce and you will be relishing every bite. It’s so delicious.
For whole wheat pizza dough
1 ½ cup Whole wheat Vivatta Chakki Atta, click here to buy Vivatta chakki atta
¼ cup luke warm water + extra if needed
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
200 grams mushrooms
1 ½ cup spinach(tightly packed)
1 large onions
5 cloves of garlic
Salt to taste
Pepper powder to taste
1 cup mozzarella and ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon olive oil
Milk for brushing
1.Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a pan. Add crushed garlic and saute for 10 seconds. Add finely chopped onions and cook till onions turn soft and pink. Do not brown the onions.
2. Now add chopped mushrooms and cook on low flame. Mushrooms will start to release a lot of water. That’s fine. After about a minute add chopped spinach. Add salt and pepper powder to taste. Cook until mushrooms are done and raw smell from the spinach disappears. Do not overcook the veggies. If you still have water in the sauted mushroom-spinach mix, don’t worry about it. Just discard the water and keep the mushroom-spinach mix aside.
3. To make whole wheat pizza dough, add yeast, sugar in a bowl and pour luke warm water and let it sit for 5 minutes until the yeast starts bubbling. If the yeast doesn’t react discard it and start another batch.
4. In another bowl, add flour, salt and mix with your fingers, make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture. Mix well. Knead in the same bowl for about 5-10 minutes
5. Clean thoroughly counter surface, dust with flour, transfer the dough onto the counter and start kneading. Knead until smooth, soft and shiny dough.
6. Place the dough onto the bowl used for kneading, and cover it with a damp cloth. Set it aside for 1 – 1.5 hours, for the dough to prove. After 1-1.5 hours dough would have risen and it would be double the size.
7. Once the dough is proven, knock down the down (punch it with your fist), this is done to release all the air that would have collected. Gently knead for another 2 minutes and pizza dough is ready to use.
8. Make equal small portions of the dough. Take a small portion and flatten the pizza base to the shape and size you wish.
9. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of ricotta mozzarella cheese on the pizza base. Add a spoon full of mushroom-spinach mix and top it with cheese mix again. Fold carefully into half. Seal the edges to prevent the cheese from oozing out. With a sharp knife make some slits on the surface of calzone to prevent it from bursting. This also ensures even cooking. Repeat this step foe rest of the dough.
10. Place the calzone carefully on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Keep them apart about 2 inches. Brush with milk and bake them in pre heated oven at 200 degree centigrade for about 20 minutes or until you see calzone turning brown and cooked.
11. Serve these delicious calzone with spicy marinara sauce. When the pizza craving hits, make delicious whole wheat vivatta chakki atta calzones.