Meen Kuzhambu or Fish curry is famous in South India and there are quite a number of variations with this curry. My recipe here is Tamil Nadu style curry and I have used Mackerel fish.
3 medium sized Mackerel fish – cleaned and washed thoroughly
2 medium sized onions finely chopped
3 tomatoes finely chopped
2 green chillies slit
5 pods of garlic peeled and smashed with your knife
1 sprig curry leaves
3 tbspn pf red chilli powder
1 tbspn coriander powder
1 tspn of tumeric powder + 1 tspn for mariante
1 big lemon sized ball of tamarind
1 tspn mustard seeds
1/4 tspn fenugreek seeds
A pinch of asafaotida
Salt to taste
3 tbspn of gingely oil
1. Clean and wash the fish thoroughly. Add 1 tspn of tumeric powder and salt to fish and rub it all over. Cover the fish and leave it in fridge till you prepare the curry base.
2. Soak tamarind in 1 cup water for minimum half hour. Extract the juice of tamarind and filter out all the seeds and unwanted waste from it.
3. Add chilli powder, tumeric powder and coriander powder to the tamarind juice and mix well.
4. Heat oil in kadai. Add mustard seeds and when seeds crack add fenugreek seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves and saute for 10 secs.
5. Add crushed garlic and saute for a min. Next add chopped onions and saute until onions turn translucent.
6. Add the tamarind mixed juice and allow it to boil for 5-10 mins.
7. Add marianted fish to the curry, reduce the flame to low and cook the fish. Fish gets cooked fast, so have a eye on them. Do not over cook the fish.
8. Switch off flame. Garnish with fried curry leaves and serve hot with white rice.
Fish curry taste delicious the next day of preparation, as fish would absorb all the spices from the curry.
I have prepared this curry with Mackerel fish. You can use other fish too like Red Snapper, Seer, Sardine,..