A tomato based curry that has a robost flavor from the kadhai masala powder. A mouthwatring combination of paneer, capsicum, tomato, onion and traditional indian spices is usually cooked in ghee/clarified butter and is one of the most popular paneer recipe. Using fresh ingredients and aromatic spices gives this dish an exotic taste and flavor. Two main ingredients, Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and Whole Coriander Seeds play a vital role as they not only give Kadai Paneer the flavour but also distinct aroma. he crunch of bell peppers compliments the softness of paneer and the sweet and spicy onion-tomato paste makes this Kadai Paneer or Karahi Paneer one exciting dish. And what more, you can prepare this dish in less than 30 minutes. Isn’t that enticing enough to make this delicious Karahi paneer dish?! 🙂 Go ahead make these and please your family/friends.
Here’s Kadhai paneer recipe-
Paneer – 250 gms(best use home made fresh paneer)
Tomatoes – 3 large(blanch) + 1 finely chopped
Onions – 1 large, finely chopped
Ginger julienes – 10 pieces
Bell peppers/Capsicum – 1 large(I used 1/2 green and 1/2 yellow colored peppers, you can use just green)
Kashmiri red chilie powder – 1 tbspn
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tspn
Shah Jeera/Cumin seeds – 1 tspn
Roasted cumin powder – 1 tspn
Garam masala powder – 1 tspn
Kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves – 1 tbspn, crushed
Salt to taste
Ghee/oil – 2 tspn( I used oil, as am calorie conscious)
Spices to blend-
Coriander seeds – 2 tbspn
Dried red chillies – 4-5 nos
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
Cardamoms – 2 nos
Cloves – 2 nos
Cumin seeds/Jeera – 1 tspn
For garnish –
Method of preparation:-
1.Dry roast all the ingredients mentioned under spices to blend on low flame. Take care not to burn any spices. Once aroma releases, take it off the stove and let it cool for 5 mins. Then blend into powder.
2. Blanch tomatoes. Peel skin and puree the flesh into paste. Keep aside
3. Heat oil/ghee in a kadai/wok. Add shah jeera, onions and ginger julienes and saute until onions turn soft.
4. Add tomato puree and chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes turn soft.
5. Add prepared masala powder, Kashmiri red chilie powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt, cook for 3 mins.
6. Next add chopped paneer and capsicum and mix with gentle hands. Let it cook for 5 mins on low flame.
8. That’s it! The most delicious resturant style kadhai paneer is ready. Serve hot with butter naan, parathas, jeera rice..
1. Since I dont like the bite of whole spices I made them into a masala powder and used. Some preparations use whole spices.
2. You can use home made or store bought paneer for this dish, though home made paneer would be best option.
3. I did not fry paneer in oil before adding, I prefer to use it as it is. If you want to fry paneer before adding you can do that.
4. Kasuri methi and the spice blend adds a distinctive flavor to the dish, dont miss that!
5. I used tomato puree and chopped tomatoes to give a distinctive texture to the dish, you could just use balnced tomato puree. 6
6. This paneer dish is semi dry dish but you prefer gravy to semi-dry, simply add little water after cooking the pureed tomatoes to get required consistency.