Incorporating millets in our diet is very important. I try to include different types of millets in my breakfast dishes. Apart from being healthy, they actually make the dish tasty too.
Here’s my foxtail millet upma with veggies-
Foxtail millet/Thinai Arisi – 1 cup
Onions – 1 large(Sliced thin)
Tomato – 1 large(Finely chopped)
Green chillies – 5-6 nos(or use as required)
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Carrots – 1 large(finely chopped)
Beans – 3 nos(finely chopped)
Fresh/frozen peas – 1/4 cup
Oil – 2 tbspn
Mustard seeds – 1 tspn
Urad dal – 1 tbspn
Channa dal – 1 tbspn
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
Salt to taste
Hot Water – 3 cups
1. Soak foxtail millet in enough water for about 15 minutes. Cook finely chopped veggies(carrot, beans, peas) with a small pinch of salt. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a deep bottom pan. To hot oil add mustard seeds and wait till they crackle. Add urad dhal, channa dal and saute for a minute or till they turn golden brown.
3. Next add thin slices of onions, green chillies, ginger pieces and curry leaves and saute till onions turn translucent.
4. Add tomatoes and cook till they are soft. Add salt to taste and turmeric powder, mix well, fry for 20 seconds.
5. Now add the cooked veggies stir and cook for about a minute.
6. Now add 3 cups of hot water and wait till the water starts to boil. Drain water from the soaking millet and add the millet to the boiling water. Stir it well, cover the pan with a lid and simmer and cook until done(all water will evaporate and millet should be fully cooked). If your upma turns very dry and you see millet not fully cooked, sprinkle some water cover and cook until done.
7. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with spicy coconut chutney, pickle or the way my daughter likes it with sugar(Oh, I hate to eat my upma with sugar! But I see kids love to eat it that way 😀 )
8. A healthy, satisfying and tasty upma is served! Enjoy! 😀
1. Use any veggies of your choice, sweet corn, capsicum, mochaikai ..will be good options.
2. Use more green chillies if you like it spicy.
3. Add a dash of ghee once the upma is cooked just immediately after switching off the flame. Will enhance the flavor and taste of the dish.