The main difference between chow mein and lo mein is that different methods are used to make these stir-fry noodles. Both chow mein and lo mein use wheat-flour egg noodles. More authentic chow mein noodles are fried to crispness, while lo mein noodles are boiled to softness. The noodles themselves have similar nutritional value, but whether a chow mein or lo mein dish is healthy depends on the ingredients used with them in a stir fry. (Info courtesy – diffen
Recipe inspiration from bakeatmidnite
Serves – 2
Spaghetti – 1/2 packet
Olive Oil – 3 tbspn
Bone less chicken breast pieces – 250 gms
Red onions – 1 small, chopped
Carrots – 1 small, chopped
Green bell peppers – 1 small, chopped
Pepper powder – 1 1/2 tbspn(adjust as per requirement)
Teriyaki sauce – 1 tbspn(if you don’t have teriyki sauce you can use soy sauce)
Fish sauce – 1 tspn(I skipped this, as I could’nt find it and used salt. Do not use salt if using fish sauce)
Maggi Seasoning – 1 tspn( I used the one from the noodels packet)
Salt – per taste
Corn flour – 1 tspn(dissolved in 1 tspn of water)
Roasted peanuts – for garnish
Methos of Preparation:-
1. Cook spaghetti as per pack instructions. Cook them al dente. If you over cook the spaghetti the dish will loose it’s wonderful texture and taste. Once spaghetti is cook al dente, immediately drain water and place it under running water to stop cooking. Rub the cooked spagetti with few tsps of olive oil. Keep aside.
2. Clean and wash chicken pieces. Marinate them with pepper powder and salt(if you are using fish sauce do not add salt to the dish). Set it aside for 10 minutes.
3. Heat 1 tbspn of oil in a pan. Add chicken pieces to oil and cook until chicken gets cooked and starts to turn golden color. Keep stirring to avoid chicken from burning.
4. Remove chicken pieces once cooked. Add 1 tbspn of olive oil to the same pan and toss the veggies(onions, carrots and bell peppers) for 2-3 mins. do not over cook the veggies.
5. To the stirred veggies add cooked chicken pieces, spaghetti and toss. Sprinkle maggi seasoning and mix well.
6. Add teriyaki sauce/soy sauce and fish sauce(if using) and toss until every thing comes to gether.
7. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir contents of the pan well and cook for 1 minute.
8. Check for seasoning and adjust acccording to your taste.
9. Remove from heat. Serve them immediately with some roasted peanuts on top. Enjoy!
1. Regular egg noodles can be used in place of spaghetti.
2. Vegetables like celery stalk, red bell peppers, brocolli, snow peas can be used.